Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Social Networking

While reading the paper the other day at work (Umpqua Bank of course), an article about social networking caught my eye. These days though, anything talkign about or referencing "social networks" catches my eye. It is the wave of the future...or present. Many of us have been using these sites on a personal level for years; and now "Online profiles help employees learn about potentially productive people"-Julie Weed, The Oregonian: June 1st, 2009

I believe (obviously since I'm blogging)...and twittering (look for me "UmpquaLouie") that social networking does help get your name out there. I know that I am on my computer all the time...at work and once I get home. If i want to know something, I no longer HAVE to call someone or go to the library. I just turn on my computer. The more you put out there, the more people will have the opportunity to see you. There are pros and cons to this, like anything else out there but just think about the reach you can have by putting "yourself" on the internet.

So many businesses are on these networking sites that I barely have to go on to their individual websites. All I have to do is go to one networking site and if I am "following" (like on Twitter) someone's updates, then all the information comes to me. Being accessable on a social networking site is key to getting noticed. On a personal note, I have been keeping up with a lot of the goings on in Portland through Twitter because people/businesses are constantly updating different events or specials that are happening around the town.

Check out my updates at www.twitter.com/umpqualouie as well as who I am following!


No comments:

Post a Comment